The other morning I went to make my usual bowl of oatmeal, only to discover that I was all out of oats!
I had already gotten the water boiling and the fruits prepared to go on top...so on a whim I decided to try using quinoa instead.
Much to my delight, it turned out great!
In fact, it was so good that I've decided to have it in place of my beloved oats every now and again.
The following recipe is one of my favorite versions of this protein-packed, super-food breakfast.
Adding tahini in place of nut butter to my warm breakfasts is something I have only recently begun experimenting with, and I'm IN LOVE.
Especially if you add a dollop of your favorite jam...oh, it's amazing!
But if Tahini isn't your thing, or you're just too smitten with your nut butter then, by all means, stick to that.
However, I must say that it is worth a try :)
- 1 Cup plant milk (or you can sub half or all with water)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Coconut Flakes (plus more for topping)
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- Sweetener of choice (optional. I personally didn't use any and it turned out delicious)
- 1 Tbsp Tahini (or nut butter, if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp Jam (adds a nice touch with the tahini, and sweetness if you omit the sweetener)
- Fruits of choice
- Ground Flax or chia
1. Add the plant milk (or water), vanilla, cinnamon, quinoa and coconut flakes to a small pot over medium heat
2. Bring to a boil
3. Lower temperature and place a lid on the pot
4. Let cook for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is soft and has absorbed all the liquid
5. Remove from heat and carefully pour into a bowl
6. Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!