Reasons To Feel Good About Eating This Sweet Potato & Blackberry Coffee Cake for Breakfast (or anytime, really):
- It's sweetened with Sucanat, not super-processed, refined white sugar
- Sweet potatoes are a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals that do wonders for the body. They're a great source of iron, potassium, magnesium, beta-carotene, and Vitamins, C, D, and B6.
-Ground flax is a healthy source of fat that will not only enhance the benefits of the sweet potato, but also contribute a healthy source of fiber and lignans.
- Blackberries are full of antioxidants, as well as Vitamins C and K
- Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties and contains large amounts of polyphenol antioxidants
- It contains unbleached, Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup plant milk
1/2 cooked sweet potato (I recommend oven-baked)
1 tbsp ground flax (optional)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp coconut or veg oil
2 cups whole wheat flour (other kinds work, too)
2/3 cup Sugar of choice (I used Sucanat)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup (or more) Blackberries for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Grease pan of choice with coconut oil or non-stick spray
3. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients (except the berries) and stir well.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until evenly combined (careful not to overmix).
6. Pour into the greased pan and place the blackberries on top, pushing them into the dough a little
7. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let cool, remove from pan and enjoy!